Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Adventure #105

On our second day in Brussels Matt and I walked down to the Quartier Royal. We walked through Parc de Bruxelles to see all of the buildings. We saw the Palais Royal which is where the King lives. He was in the country since Belgium's flag was flying.





Then we walked to the Eglise St-Jaques-sur Coudenberg, which is a church, however the doors were locked. So we headed to the Palais de Justice building, which is where the court system is.





Then we walked to Parc du Cinquantenaire. On our way we stopped to buy a macaroon. It is a french pastry, not like macaroons here. Matt and I discovered them in Paris and I have been obsessed ever since. They are so good. We sat in the park and ate our macaroon. The park was designed and built in 1880 to celebrate Belgium's independence. There is a palace and several museums in the park. The area has been used for horse races, storing homing pigeons, and even as a garden during World War II to feed the people of Brussels.




Matt and I went to the Autoworld Museum in the park. The old cars were amazing.






Next we took the metro to The Atomium, which was built in 1958 for the World Fair. The iron structure is an atom magnified 165 billion times. Each sphere is 60 feet in diameter. The rest of our day in Brussels was spent wandering the streets. We did some shopping and I bought some boots. The next morning we left for the airport. There was only one seat left on the plane to Atlanta, so I went to Atlanta. Then to Las Vegas and finally home. Matt was able to get on the flight to JFK and then straight home. We both arrived in Salt Lake about the same time. Being able to make it all the way home was a good ending to our trip to Belgium.


No comments:

Post a Comment