Wahoo! A house update. I love house updates. Especially when my bathroom looked like this.
Yikes! These pictures are from when I first walked though the house. After a year in the making the bathroom is finished.
So, here is what went down. Shortly after moving in I pulled out the baseboards, removed the mirror, patched holes in the walls, and removed the toilet paper and towel holders. Then I painted the entire room white. I have always wanted a little powder room to wall paper, however the walls have an orange peel texture, which means I would have to sand the walls smooth. I do not have the time or the patience. So I decided to paint stripes. I measured the walls to figure out the width and number of stripes to keep them even. I used my tape measure and a pencil to make marks every few inches. I connected the marks with my painter's tape. Then I painted the stripes.
Ta da! But here is where things get crazy. You may have noticed in the pictures above the stripes are green not yellow. Well, I thought the new tile clashed with the yellow. So, I re-taped the walls and painted over the yellow with green. Thankfully I did not have to remeasure the stripes since this was the most time consuming part. The picture above also shows off our amazing toilet seat. I know palm trees are so Las Vegas but it had to go.
Unfortunately, the orange peel texture of the walls made it hard to create a smooth line. After Matt did some research he used painter's tape and caulk to make the lines crisp. I looked forever for an oval mirror to place above the sink. I finally found one for $30 at a consignment store and spray painted it black.
All along I wanted hexagon tile. It just took me forever to decide which one. I finally narrowed it down to a marble tile called Grecian White Hexagon from Home Depot, which was a risk since the tile was not available in the store and I could not buy a sample. Thankfully there were good reviews online which said the tile had various shades of grey and was not just white. To get the tile in, Matt started by removing the toilet and sink. He pulled out the linoleum. He cleaned the concrete floor to make sure it was smooth. He did a dry run next by cutting the tile to fit the space. This was extremely helpful because he did not have to cut tiles in the middle of using the thin set. Then while he spread the thin set and placed the tile, I put in spacers and made adjustments to the tile to keep the lines even. We let the thin set dry for a day and Matt grouted the tile. We did several rounds of cleaning the extra grout off the tiles. Finally, Matt sealed the tile. But we were still not done. Matt cut baseboards and used his nail gun to nail them to the walls. Then he put the toilet and sink back in. We also replaced the door hinges and doorknobs. All that was left to do was admire our work and be thankful there was no longer a toilet sitting in our garage.
No comments:
Post a Comment