Thursday, February 3, 2011

Adventure #12

For the past few weeks I have been working on the next house project. My brother-in-law's old bedroom. Which spells trouble. First, I washed the walls. Sigh. I finally found a way to show you how dirty the walls in this house are before I get to them.


Gross. The nice white stripe in the middle is where I cleaned. After, I began scraping off the wallpaper border.


So, I now have a huge respect for anyone who has ever had to remove wallpaper. I just had a simple border and it took me hours to get off. I used a squirt bottle full of hot water and a metal scraper. Nothing like soggy wallpaper. Then, I started patching all the holes in the walls. This is taking me a long time and I am still not finished. Matt took down the curtains, ceiling fan, and light switch covers. So at sometime, someone thought it would be a good idea to use an industrial strength glue to hold down the light switch covers. Well, the covers came right off, however they let the glue run down the wall. Matt could only get it off by scraping clear down to the drywall. Then, I patched the holes with mud. But my absolute favorite part of this room has been a stain on the length of half of one wall. It looks like splattered BBQ sauce. First, I tried scrubbing it off, with a washcloth and a scrapping sponge. Second, I used my metal scraper. Which helped some. Third, I used fingernail polish remover. No dice. Fourth, vinegar. Fifth, I painted over the stains with white paint. Like a primer. The stains soaked through. Sixth, I tried paint remover, which just took the paint off around the stain. Finally, I had to scrape the stains out of the wall and then patched the holes. Are you kidding me? What is this stuff? I couldn't get the stains to show up in a picture, so here is one after my patch job. This gives you an idea of how many stains there were and this is not all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment