Marienplatz or St. Mary's Square was named after the people of Munich asked the Virgin Mary to protect them from the cholera epidemic in 1854. The square contains the Altes Rathaus or Old Town Hall built in 1464 and the Neues Rathaus or New Town Hall, which contains the famous Glockenspiel. At specific times in the day the clock plays music and mechanical characters dance, while knights joust. Matt and I were just in time for the clock to go off.
After Marienplatz Matt and I visited several churches including: the Frauenkirche or Church of our Lady, Peterskirche, Michaelskirche, and Asamkirche.
Matt and I paid to climb the steps of Peterskirche to see some views of the city.
After, Matt and I visited the Viktualienmarkt. We ate dinner on crowded benches in the middle of the market. Matt had bratwurst and I had schnitzel. I am pretty sure we were the only ones without beer. Nothing like an ice cold mug of Sprite at the end of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment